MISSION OF READ BERKELEY
To encourage life-long literacy and increase reading proficiency by providing free books and supplies to children in Berkeley County, West Virginia.
VISION OF READ BERKELEY
To gift every 2nd grade child in Berkeley County a set of books that belongs to them.
- There are 1,400 Second Grade students in Berkeley County Homes
- With no books, children lose three months of reading comprehension over the summer. This accumulates from pre-k to third grade.
- As of 2017, only 32% of 4th graders in WV read on grade-level.* *Data from the WV Dept of Ed Website report
- Winchester Avenue=24% reading proficiency
- Burke Street=53% reading proficiency
- Rosement=47% reading proficiency
- Inwood Primary=49% reading proficiency
- Bunker Hill=43% reading proficiency
- Berkeley Heights=41% reading proficiency